Daily devotions were not always a regular thing for me. Yes, I was hungry for the word, and would read it. But I never really knew what you were supposed to do with it. When I came to Christ, there wasn’t anyone around to show me how to read my Bible or put it into practice in my life. So, I hunt and pecked, and sporadically read my Bible.
Reading my Bible daily did not become a regular habit until I started Bible College.
There are many ways to read your Bible. One of my favorite ways is journaling.
I Will share with you how I journal. At the end of this post you can enter a drawing for your own journal and $5 Starbucks gift card, so you can sit down, have coffee or tea with God and get to know Him Better.
- I always begin with prayer, usually something like this: Jesus, show me what you want me to see in your word today. In Jesus name, Amen.
- At the top of the page of your Journal or blank piece of paper, write down the date and the scriptures you are reading for that day. There are many Bible reading plans available. www.blueletterbible.org/reader/daily has many to choose from.
- I like to make notes as I read, sometimes I write in my Bible, sometimes in my journal. I also underline or highlight scriptures that stand out to me while I read.
- After I am done reading, I write down in a few paragraphs what I feel God is speaking to me through His word that day.
- Underneath that paragraph I write out an application; how I can put the word of God into practice, being a doer of the word and not a hearer only (James 1:25).
- At the end of my journal entry, I write down the verse or verses that most spoke to me that day. I keep these handy when I want to find verses to memorize.
- End with prayer. This doesn’t always have to be on paper, but I do pray when I’m finished reading my Bible. I talk to the Lord about what I just read, and how I can implement that into my life, or find encouragement from it. I speak to Him about things that are on my heart. Sometimes I will go back over the scriptures I’ve underlined and use those as prayer points.
To be entered into the drawing for a journal (pictured) and $5 Starbucks gift card, simply comment on this post. On Friday April 5th I will write down the names of all commenter’s and draw a winner. I will notify the winner via email and get your shipping information then.
Do you Journal your devotions? If you do how is it different than the way described above? How is it the same?